Having recently purchased a low cost Chinese Android Jelly Bean based handheld console for emulation, the JXD s7300. I decided it was high time to investigate which is the best Neo Geo emulator currently available for the Android platform, after testing I found NeoDroid is excellent running at a very playable near full speed on the JXD s7300.
A couple of tips I discovered is to select and enable ‘Use ASM Cores’ then the majority of games I tested played at full speed, also turning on ‘autoframeskip’ and setting the sample rate to ‘44100’ also improved the overall emulation experience. If you load a ROM and it has broken sound just end emulation by pressing the L2 button then selecting the on screen cross in the right hand corner of the screen and restart the specific ROM again.
NeoDroid allows for simple mapping of the JXD s7300 hardware buttons and joysticks for a better overall emulation experience. Just launch NeoDroid and click on the settings icon, select the ‘Use hardware buttons’ option, then select ‘Set hardware buttons’ then just map your buttons either as below or to your own settings.
NeoDroid is a Neo Geo MVS emulator for Android. Allowing you to play your favorite Neo Geo games like King of Fighters, Metal Slug, Puzzle Bobble, Fatal Fury and many more on your Android device.
– Put bios (neogeo.zip) in your ROMs directory (“/mnt/sdcard/neodroid/roms”)
– Put roms in your ROMs directory (“/mnt/sdcard/neodroid/roms”)
– Compatible with MAME ROMs format
– Run at full speed on 1 Ghz+ devices
– Compatibility same as the GnGeo version 0.8 emulator
– Fix force close on ICS devices
– Updated to latest gngeo sources ( rev. 6ad2a3d1bba3 ) 1.9
– Fix library download problem on froyo devices 1.8
– Splitted in two package: neodroid and gngeolibs
– Added save/load state support
– Added a compatibility list with roms links search (search button)
– A sound problem fixed, the emulator “should” not hang anymore on the NeoGeo logo
– No restart on exit emulation anymore, exiting the emulation will bring back the rom selection list
– Should again fix a problem with the screen aspect ratio (ex. Garou Mark of the Wolves)
– Added progress bar on roms loading
– Problem when using “home” system have the bios file “aes-bios.bin” in your neogeo.zip
– Added z80 and 68k overlock in preferences (improve neogeo framerate on games like metal slug)
– Fix child roms not working (metal slug 4 plus, Puzzle De Pon! R!)
– Emulation will now pause when in-game menu is showing
– Custom application theme
– Add screenshot preview when touching a rom icon 1.6
– fix Breakers Revenge (breakrev.zip) not added to compatibility list
– fix some wrong aspect ratio 1.5
– fix a bug preventing the use of “uni-bios.rom” bios system.
– fix “menu” button blinking when using hardware controller.
– improve controls code again, this also improve famerate.
– prevent launching of incompatible roms (based on roms names).
– TODO: save/load states in the works! 1.4
– Finally, a major problem is fixed in the new rendering code 1.3
– Add the possibility to enable/disable arm asm specific cores
– Transparency now also applied to analog stick
– On screen controller can be analog or digital (preferences screen)
– Vibrations can now be disabled (preferences screen)
– Add the possibility to assign the BACK hardware button (should fix xperia play problem)
– Roms compatibility list and screenshots almost done
– Add more information to crash report 1.2
– added bug report by mail, please use the “mail” icon to report crash
– add compatibility list to roms (default color = working, yellow = problem, red = non working)
– begin to add screenshot previews icons 1.1
– new and improved on screen controls
– new effects engine (press back in game to bring the menu)
– added 3 new scale mode : original, fit screen, full screen (press back in game to bring the menu)
– improved speed up to 100% on large screen when using the new effect engine
– added hardware buttons mapping in preferences, should work with xperia play and more